Habits # 1: Hang Time With God
Welcome to the bonus material for Habit #1! We’re glad you’ve decided to take this deeper dive to make changes that can affect your life forever. When you spend time with God…
- He changes your HEART. When you became a believer of Jesus, He took your heart and He totally transformed it. But He didn’t just do that one time, He continues to do this every day. The closer you get to God, the more you realize your need for Him. And when you spend time with Him, He changes your heart. Don’t keep looking at my sins. Remove the stain of my guilt. Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit in me (Psalm 51:9).
- He gives you DIRECTION for living. God wants to guide you. He wants to direct the way for you to live your life. God loves you more than you love yourself. God’s word is His map for your life. When you spend time reading His word, it gives you direction. Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light to my path (Psalm 119:105). When you have said yes to God and given Him permission to be the Lord of your life, He fills you up with His presence called the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit within you also guides you and gives you direction. But when the Father sends the Counselor as my representative-and by the Counselor I mean the Holy Spirit-he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I myself have told you (John 14:26).
- He’s there during your PROBLEMS. God is there during tough times. He’s there when you struggle. He cares about your pain. And He gives you opportunity to help others when they are experiencing hard times. He (God) comforts us in all trouble so that we can comfort others. When others have troubles, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us (2 Corinthians 1:4).
In order to hang out with God…
- Make time with God a PRIORITY. Who we are as people is based on the commitments we make and the habits that we develop.
- Take the time REGULARLY. You show what is important to you by how you spend your time. If you are not spending time with God maybe make some sacrifice or choose time with God over something else. It doesn’t have to be hours. You could start with 10 minutes a day. Just try it.
- Hang out with comfort rather than GUILT. Don’t give up when you have a setback. And don’t give in to guilt. God would love any amount of time you give to hang out with Him. That’s the comfort versus the guilt.
Is there a place in your daily schedule where you can make time to hang with God? You could…
- Pray for others
- Go on a walk and talk with God
- Go through a passage of Scripture and write down all the attributes of God
- Pick a theme (like love, mercy, worry, etc.) and look up verses that go along with that theme
- Journal or draw about what you are reading
- Share with someone who can encourage you in your pursuit of hanging out with God.
- After 2 weeks, evaluate what the benefits have been from hanging out with God.
One last thought: Developing this habit will change your life NOW and for ETERNITY!