The Valley Community Center is a hub for partnerships doing good for the community…with the community. These partnerships encourage community betterment throughout greater Des Moines in these four areas:
Jesus made it simple: Love God and love your neighbors. We want to be the heart, the hands, and the feet of Jesus to the people of greater Des Moines.
We have a one-stop shop for your next block party!
God has ignited a passion for loving our neighbors, and we want to make it as fun and as easy as possible for our Valley Church family to serve and love our community in deeper ways. Owned by Valley Church, the Block Party Express trailer is designed to make it simple and fun for Valley Church family members to host their own neighborhood block party. The trailer contains the following:
- Small bounce house
- Canopy tents
- Carnival games
- Common yard games
- Popcorn popper
- Sound system
- Inflatable movie screen and projector
Love Your Neighbor
For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
- Galatians 5:14
What if Jesus' command to love our neighbors meant loving our actual neighbors? Not as a project, but as a lifestyle? Here are some practical ways you can reach your neighbors.
- Connect with several neighbors to host a block party.
- Get a Good Neighbor bag at the Neighbor Display in the atrium.
- Customize a gift bag for your neighbor.
- Give a welcome-to-the-neighborhood gift.
- Cut their lawn.
- Shovel snow from their driveway or walk.
- Offer child care.
- Help with a DIY project.
- Offer your home improvement skills.
- Have a cookout or a pizza party.
- Invite them to a favorite restaurant.
- Visit an elderly person.
- Run an errand for them.
- Have a free lemonade stand.
- Rake their leaves.
- Help them move in.
- Sincerely pray for your neighbors.
Choose a holiday or two and give a gift, have a party, invite them to an event, or do something together.
- January – New Year’s Day, MLK Day
- February – Groundhog Day, Valentine’s Day, Presidents Day
- March – St Patrick’s Day, Spring Break
- April – Good Friday, Easter
- May – May Day, Cinco de Mayo, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day
- June – Flag Day, Father’s Day
- July – Independence Day
- August – Iowa State Fair
- September – Labor Day, Patriot Day
- October – Columbus Day, Halloween
- November – Veterans Day, Thanksgiving
- December – Christmas, New Year’s Eve
- Plan a neighborhood service project.
- Volunteer together for a worthy cause.
- Go on a neighborhood bike ride.
- Have a popsicle meet-and-greet.
- Go Christmas caroling.
- Host an outdoor movie night.
- Host a neighborhood ice cream social or ice cream sundae bar.
- Deliver some cookies or pie or popcorn.
- Have a pancake feed.
- Share vegetables from your garden.
- Create a list of the birthdays and anniversaries of your neighbors. Help celebrate with a gift or card.
- Watch a TV sporting event together.
- Host a fun tournament of some kind.
- Have a game night.
- Offer a photo shoot session.
- Start a neighborhood Facebook group. Engage on social media.
- Organize a book club or a Life Group for those interested.
- Invite people to join you for coffee, an event, or activity