Look for simple ways to interact with you neighbors:
We love our city! Now more than ever, our community needs the Church to show up to help out, and God has opened some amazing doors for Valley Church. The Valley Community Center has an entire summer full of ways you can show the love of Christ to Des Moines and beyond.
Host a Mini Block Party!
Hosting a mini block party is a simple and meaningful way to say Love You Des Moines! There are so many fun (and socially distanced) ways you can build relationships with neighbors. Download our guide to get started today!
Love Your Neighbor
For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
- Galatians 5:14
What if Jesus' command to love our neighbors meant loving our actual neighbors? Not as a project, but as a lifestyle? Here are some practical ways you can reach your neighbors. Join us in these Love You Des Moines opportunities.
There are plenty of ways to stay socially distanced AND fill a need!
- Cut their lawn
- Watch their kids outside
- Take their dog on a walk
- Offer up your skills! Help with a DIY or home improvement project, make them a meal, teach them a card game, or host a photo shoot session
Spend some time together:
- Offer a driveway popsicle party
- Host an outdoor movie party by projecting it on your garage
- Make a free lemonade stand
- Set up a yard game tournament
- Reserve the Valley Community Center Block Party Trailer
Connect through conversation:
- Have coffee and catch up on lawn chairs in the driveway
- BYOM (bring your own meal) and picnic in the yard
- Make a batch of lemonade and chat on your patio
Every neighborhood could use more kindness!
- Write a note or call an elderly person
- Run an errand for them
- Rake their leaves
- Help them move in
- Sincerely pray for your neighbors
Be creative in how you get together:
- Go on a neighborhood bike ride or run
- Go Christmas caroling to celebrate Christmas in July
- Go on a nature walk together and provide scavenger hunts for the kids
Choose a holiday or two and give a gift, have a party, invite them to an event, or do something together.
- July – Independence Day
- August – Back to School Night
- September – Labor Day, Patriot Day